(Revised December 2020)
Many of our websites allow you to publish or share content, including personal information which identifies you and/or your company. This Policy will govern how The Channel Company uses the information you provide and what choices you have about its publication.
Information That Identifies You
We rely on the information you provide to us – as you register, contact us, participate in surveys, post comments to public areas of and interact with our web sites, respond to our email campaigns, complete applications for award and recognition lists, and participate in webinars or online events. This ordinarily consists of basic contact information – name, company, title, address, telephone number, and email address – but may include other information such as business preferences and affiliations. We will add information about how you interact with our offerings – your subscriptions, the events you attend, and the like. We may also supplement with additional data from external sources.
The amount and type of information that we collect depends on the nature of our interaction with you. In each case, The Channel Company collects information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of your interaction with us.
When you provide it to us, we collect the following information that identifies you (“Personal Data”):
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Information about your business
- Content of your email or other messages to us
When you visit our website, we collect the following data from the device or browser through which you access the site (“Log Data”):
- Your internet protocol (“IP”) address
- Browser type
- Browser version
- Statistics on your activities on the Site (such as the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at the Site)
- Information about how you came to the Site
- Data collected through Cookies or other similar technologies discussed in more detail below.
Much of this Log Data does not identify you personally. However, we may associate this Log Data with your Personal Data. When we do, we will treat any such combined data as Personal Data until such time as it can no longer be associated with you or used to identify you.
Automatic Data Collection Technologies
Some of our web sites use Adobe Flash to provide video content, and the Adobe Flash Player has the ability to separately store information about that particular Flash application. We do not associate this Adobe Flash stored information with you as an individual. Please see the Adobe Flash Player Help page for additional information about controlling the settings of the Adobe Flash Player on your computer.
We gather date, time, certain information about a user's browser and system or device configuration and capabilities, navigation history and IP address for all visitors to our web sites. We use this information for our internal security audit log, for trend analysis and system administration and to gather broad information about our audiences and their geographic locations.
How We Use Information That Identifies You
We may use information about you:
- to provide the services, publications, and information you request -- and to manage your account with us.
- to deliver or display content that matches your professional interests and responsibilities.
- to contact you with information about and invitations for products and services – ours and other companies' – directed to your professional interests and responsibilities.
- to offer you opportunities to connect directly with your peers and with sellers of technology that may be of interest to you.
We do not “sell” your personal information as defined under current domestic and international regulations to any Business Partners.
There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may disclose, transfer, or share your Personal Data with certain third parties to perform services on behalf of The Channel Company. By using the Site or submitting your Personal Data to us, you expressly consent to our sharing your Personal Data, as set forth below.
Sharing Personal Data With Affiliates, Successors, and Agents
- our parent companies, subsidiaries, and/or affiliates;
- successors who acquire your Personal Data if we sell, merge, reorganize, dissolve, or similarly change our ownership or corporate structure;
- other companies we engage to perform business-related functions, such as:
- digital marketing agencies;
- database service providers;
- backup and disaster recovery service providers;
- email service providers; and
- payment processors.
Legally Compelled Disclosure of Personal Data
We may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in our good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- comply with a legal obligation;
- protect or defend our rights, interests, or property, or that of third parties;
- prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site;
- act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Site users or the public; or
- protect against legal liability.
Data Privacy Notice
1. Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to an individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession, or likely to come into such possession.
2. Who are we?
The Channel Company is a data controller of certain personal data. This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
3. How do we process your personal data?
The Channel Company complies with its obligations under certain privacy laws by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To maintain our own accounts and records; and
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services provided by The Channel Company.
- For event registration
4. What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
- Explicit consent of the data subject so that we can keep you informed about news, events, activities and services.
5. Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other entities for the foregoing purposes.
We do not “sell” your personal information as currently defined under the California Consumer Protection Act to any Business Partners.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
We retain your personal data for the duration of your business relationship with us, and we hold your information only as long as necessary for each purpose we use it, unless we have obtained your consent to use for another or similar purpose.
7. Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under certain privacy laws such as GDPR or CCPA, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which The Channel Company holds about you;
- The right to request that The Channel Company correct any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is deleted where it is no longer necessary for The Channel Company to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- The right to request information about the personal data we have disclosed for business purposes and / or provided (as such term is defined under the CCPA) to a business partner within the last 12 months.
- The right to request that The Channel Company provide you with your personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller (known as the right to data portability), where applicable;
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, where applicable; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General.
What Are My Rights About The Processing Of My Personal Data?
You always have a choice regarding the tools that you use and the information that you provide so that we can provide products and services that are of real value.
You may withdraw your consent to the processing of your Personal Data at any time. To opt out of receiving emails, direct mail, catalogues, or other communications, please call us at (508) 416-1175 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the phrase “Privacy Opt-out” in the subject line and specify what you would like us to do (for example, change your mailing preferences). To stop email communications from us, you can also follow the unsubscribe instructions set forth at the bottom of our promotional e-mail messages. You may also access and correct some of your Personal Data by logging into your online account, if you have one.
If you choose to limit our use of your Personal Data, you may not have access to certain functionality of the Site. If you change your privacy preferences in the future, that will not limit the lawfulness of any processing performed based on your prior consent. We do not sell your Personal Data, but you have the right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Data at any time.
Additional Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of California or certain other states that have passed data privacy laws, you may have the right to request information from us regarding the manner in which we process certain Personal Data or categories of Personal Data. Under California law, you have the right request the following information, which you may do by calling us at (508) 416-1175 or emailing us at email@example.com:
- the categories of Personal Data we collected, sold, or disclosed in the prior 12 months;
- the pieces of Personal Data we collected about you in the prior 12 months;
- our business purposes for collecting or selling Personal Data;
- the categories of sources from which we collected Personal Data in the prior 12 months;
- the categories of third persons with whom we sold or shared Personal Data in the prior 12 months;
- the categories of information we disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year;
- the names and addresses of the third parties that received the information; and,
- if the nature of the third party's business cannot be determined from their name, examples of the products or services they marketed.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity. This is a security measure to ensure we do not disclose personal information to any person who is not entitled to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response. We may provide this information in a standardized format that is not entirely specific to you.
You may also have the right to delete your Personal Data, upon receipt of a verified request, with some exceptions. You may also have the right to equal treatment, in terms of prices and the level of service, regardless of your exercise of your privacy rights.
How Long Will You Keep My Personal Data?
You may close your account, unsubscribe to emails, and otherwise limit our use of your Personal Data by contacting us. However, we may retain your Personal Data for an additional period as is permitted or required under applicable laws. Even if we delete your Personal Data, it may persist on backup or archival media for an additional period of time
Submitting a Request:
If you have any questions about the type of personal information we hold about you or if you wish to request deletion of personal information we may hold about you, or exercise any other privacy right as set out above, contact us by:
Sending a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at the postal address provided at the bottom of this Privacy Statement.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Privacy Notice, we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, or for more information, please contact The Channel Company at email@example.com or (508) 416-1175.
Deletion of your data, or corrections.
Please help us keep your account information up to date. You may update most online registrations by consulting the particular web site itself or visiting a preference page after you have logged on to the site. Upon request you are entitled to access a copy of your personal data to correct it, or you may instruct us to delete it from our systems.
Connecting directly with other companies for marketing purposes.
In addition to providing you with our own editorial content, we offer you the opportunity to access others' branded content and expertise. When you choose to take advantage of that content or expertise, you choose to have your name and contact details transferred directly to that other company. We may put you in direct contact with another company or companies when you choose to:
- Register for certain registration-only, or "gated" communities. Access to technical resources provided or sponsored by another company is contingent on your agreement that your contact details may be shared with the other company. We may track your interest in that company's content or our own content over time and disclose your interest to that company.
- Register for a specific webcast, online event, web site, newsletter, or other offering which is sponsored or co-sponsored by another company.
- Register to attend one of our virtual events. We may give your name and contact details to all exhibitors and give the exhibitor whose booths and resources you access a record of your visits and interaction with content from that exhibitor.
- Attend one of our face-to-face events. Exhibitors may receive an attendance list for the event. It is up to you, however, to decide whether to leave your business card or allow your RFID-enabled badge to be read by a particular exhibitor – the badges cannot be read remotely. A sponsor of a special, sponsored conference session will also be given information about you if you choose to attend that company's session. Your future interaction with online content from an exhibitor or sponsor to whom you provided your contact data may also be tracked and disclosed to that exhibitor or sponsor.
- Submit an application for a published CRN award or recognition list. To remain eligible for certain awards or lists, you may be required to disclose certain personal data and/or company information. By submitting information requested in an application, you give your permission for this information to be published by The Channel Company on CRN-related media properties and otherwise shared with relevant companies in the IT industry, unless otherwise specified in the award/list application.
Making information you provide public
We offer websites that allow you to publish content. Many of these blog sites require that you register if you wish to comment. We will publish the user name you provide at registration when you comment. Some sites allow you to create a public profile as well.
Our online event venues also require that you register and allow you to have both public and closed communications with exhibitors and other participants. Information that identifies you will be published or shared according to your choices.
In addition, we may create online membership communities that allow you to create and publish your profile and other information. These communities may provide privacy controls which allow you to choose how much of your profile and other information to make public or to share with others within the community. As a professional, you remain responsible for locating the privacy controls (usually available on the page from which you can edit your profile), understanding how those controls, including default settings, work and protect the information you provide.
Receiving email marketing messages from us
You may opt out of our email marketing lists by following the instructions near the footer of our promotional emails. Please note that we have a number of brands and products, and therefore often allow you to opt out selectively. To remove a specific email address from all email marketing from The Channel Company, you may send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our email preference center .
More Information about Cookies
What are cookies
Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in the user’s computer and enables the Website or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Website more useful to you.
Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies. Persistent cookies act as described above, while session cookies may be stored in memory and deleted based upon browser settings.
When you use and access the Website, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.
We use these technologies to monitor the Website and to analyze how you use the Website. We may place cookies that allow us to measure the time of your requests to our servers and our responses, to test new features, to record statistics about usage, to track your activities on the Website, and to track the places from which you come to the Website or Database. We may also use third-party cookies to collect information about behavior on the Website for these Performance/Analytics purposes.
We use these technologies to allow us to provide certain functionality on the Website and to remember your preferences. For instance, cookies allow us to auto-populate certain information. If you disable or delete cookies, you may not be able to use some functions of the Website.
Advertising (including behavioral/interest-based advertising)
We may use these technologies to deliver focused online banner advertisements to you both on and off the Website. By using these technologies, we hope to better tailor these advertisements to your interests. Sometimes this is called online behavioral, interest-based, or retargeted advertising. Many of the third party technologies that enable this advertising participate in voluntary frameworks that allow you to opt out of it.
Such third party service providers include Adroll, Rubicon, Google, Media Math, Perfect Audience, Quantcast, Retargeter, and Yahoo!, among others. You can control your preferences directly with each such third-party service provider.
Most of the cookies and other technologies described above on the Website are set by us (“first-party cookies”). Other cookies are used in connection with the Website and are set by third-party service providers at our direction ("third-party cookies"). We may use third-party cookies with respect to each of the uses set forth above.
What are your choices regarding cookies
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
Where can you find more information about cookies
You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:
- All About Cookies: http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/
The Channel Company currently allows the following third-party ad servers to serve ads on our web pages: TRUSTe and Google AdSense. Some companies offer additional choices about your preferences. Please visit each of their web sites for more information about the technologies they use and their privacy practices.
Many of the third-party ad serving companies that serve ads to our web sites are members of the Network Advertising Initiative and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance. The NAI offers useful information about ad networks and a single place to turn off targeted ad serving from any of its member companies: https://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
The Channel Company further adheres to the data privacy principles set forth in the Interactive Advertising Bureau/American Association of Advertising Agencies' Standard Terms and Conditions version 3.0.
We may amend or modify the list of Third Party Advertisers from time to time without changing the effective date of the Policy itself. We urge you to check this section regularly for any modifications.
Disclosure of Information about You
We reserve the right to disclose information about you to third parties in certain circumstances: to vendors that work on our behalf, to entities that present valid legal process, to protect human safety or our networks or property, or as part of a corporate merger or sale of our business assets.
Please note that we may be required to disclose an individual's personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We collect and process information on servers hosted in the U.S. We use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect personal information against theft, loss, or misuse. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or storage can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. We strive to protect information about you and your professional interests and follow reasonable security and practices. You remain responsible for protecting your user name and passwords and for the security of information in transit to us over the Internet.
Please note that virtual events may automatically display certain information about you to other participants in the event. We cannot control how other participants use that displayed information, so please take a moment to make sure you understand how a particular virtual event works and what information you are choosing to share within that particular environment.
- Deidentified Data: Any non-personally identifiable data we collect, including, without limitation, Log Data, domain names of your Internet Service Provider, your approximate geographic location, a record of your usage of the Site, the time of your usage, and aggregated personally identifiable information, but only to the extent the foregoing cannot be used to specifically identify you.
Do You Collect The Personal Data of Children?
We do not intentionally or knowingly collect any Personal Data from children under the age of thirteen (13), nor do we target our emails to them. Children under the age of thirteen (13) should not submit any Personal Data through the Site. We encourage parents and legal guardians to monitor their children's use of the Internet and instruct them to never provide Personal Data through the Site. If you believe a child under the age of thirteen (13) may have provided Personal Data to us through the Site, please contact us at email@example.com, and we will use reasonable efforts to delete it from the Site and our files.
International Privacy Laws